Monday, January 14, 2013

With Deepest Sympathy


Yesterday I mentioned that I had some sympathy cards I needed to make as well.  Normally, I don’t post the sympathy cards, but I wanted to show you these because I wanted to share a couple of things that came to mind while I was working on them.

As I’ve mentioned many times in the past, one of my favorite uses for scrap supplies left over from projects is to turn them into cards and tags.  Sometimes I will make the cards right away, and sometimes I just put all the supplies together in a folder and come back to it later.  It gives me a ready-made source of cards for just about any occasion, and the folder full of coordinated scraps makes it easier to replenish the supply as needed.

Add caption
One kind of card that I rarely ever make, though, is sympathy cards.  I guess it’s sort of wishful thinking to hope I never need one, but I also believe something like that should not be just randomly made.  I prefer instead to make them as needed with lots of love and keeping the recipient in mind.  Either way, I never have any on hand.

Today I made two, one to send to a dear, dear friend who recently lost her mother, and the other just for this blog.  The supplies for the cards are some scraps I’ve been hanging onto for a while now, but just hadn’t had the time to work with.  Both cards feature some butterflies I made while practicing my Copic marker coloring skills (it’s okay, I know I’m still not very good at it!).

Notice the leaf on the flower is kind of bare looking and I don't
like the blending on the butterfly to the right.
Originally, I planned to just show you the outside of one of the cards; the other card was made to show the sentiment on the inside.  But after taking my picture for the blog, I decided the second card (the one with the flower) needed a little something else.  Two little things kind of bugged me about it, so I did a quick fix (see the captions under the photos) that I thought would make it better.  Sadly, the additions I made did not improve the card, and now I really regret having done it.



So I used my Copic to color the leaf, but then the stem looked
funny and by the time I was done, it was a mess.  I also added
some bling to the butterfly.  It's okay, but I think the card looked
better before I "fixed" it!


So today I end with a question…do you ever go back and add to or change your projects?  If so, did it help or make it worse?  

No comments: