Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Better Late Than Never - Part 2


Okay, here it is, as promised, the weekly 365 Challenge Prompts for week 15 (Days 99-105):

  • A bad influence on me
  • Self-destructive
  • Sisters
  • The color brown
  • Mumbo Jumbo
  • How does your garden grow?
  • When I was young, I wanted to be…


It’s been a real trick keeping up with the challenge this past week with all the preparations for our R. L. Turner Benefit Crop Party, but here they are:

Day 92 - My morning routine…


I used this prompt to try out a technique I’ve been wanting to use in my smash book.  Last year on our annual scrapbooking cruise, one of our participants was working on a smash book of the cruise (while we were on it!).  On her opening page, she had some great journaling about their experiences getting to the cruise and she used this technique that really caught my eye.  Spaced periodically in her journaling, she used stickers instead of writing out words.  I would give anything to have a picture of her work for reference, because it looked so cool.  My efforts pale by comparison.

Day 93 - My deepest regret….


My regrets were really personal, so rather than share them with the world, I wrote a bit of prose instead.  The background was one of my ready-made backgrounds.  I tried to get a nice even chevron pattern with a stencil, but the stencil was so thin that the paint bled under it.  At first, I was displeased by it, but it has grown on me.  The legs with the mismatched socks came from a magazine and yes, the picture was exactly like that.  I just cut it off the background.


Day 94 - What makes me, me?



Christen did a piece a while back where she took a bunch of faces from magazines and cut them up to do a mix-n-match with their facial features.  It turned out really cool.  I wanted to give it a try, too, but I used some leftover family photos I had printed out for another project.   Most of the pictures are of my parents and grand parents, but there’s a great grand parent and an aunt or two thrown in as well.  I was really surprised when I cut the faces apart that it would be so hard to match them up again, and I was also surprised to recognize certain facial features that I share with some of my ancestors.  The background was made by smearing my blank paper across my paint pallet after I finished another project.  There wasn’t much paint left on the pallet, so I wet it first with a little spray of water before pressing the blank paper into it.

Day 95 - If I could only teach you one thing


I found this mouse in a magazine and have been wanting to use it for a long time.  This seemed like the perfect opportunity.  I used a paintbrush to dab paint through a stencil for the background and used various inks to do the rest.

Day 96 - If my pet could talk, it would say…


This simple page is more journal than art.  I used a brayer to make the background, and the paw prints were stamped with Memento ink.

Day 97 - Safe


I tend to create my work in safe mode, mostly sticking to techniques I am familiar with or at least have practiced a few times.  This time, I decided to try something new.  I saw a demonstration on how to draw a realistic eye, and I thought I would give it a try.  Mine is not as good as the example in the tutorial.  Part of the problem is that I have very cheap colored pencils with limited colors and they really don’t blend at all.  The lips and nose were pure accident…the paper I was practicing the eye on had somehow gotten into some ink from another project.  I noticed it after drawing the eye, and deciced to make a face around it.  The hair and eyebrows are made with paint.

Day 98 - Favorite season of the year


This background was made with some over-spray from another project.  Basically, I pressed the paper onto the other paper to help absorb some of the liquid.  I also tried out a stamping technique (the butterflies) on it before using the technique on another project.  The rest was simply a matter of stamping the grass and punching some little flowers out of leftover cardstock.

That’s it for this week!  Now go be creative!

No comments: