Friday, February 15, 2019

LOAD Day 3 - You Big Ol' Softy



For LOAD Day 3, my prompt was to make a page about a “Softy” in my life, or use something soft on my page. I chose to do both!  My Dad was a real softy, so I used this page to tell how the strict disciplinarian turned into a bit of a marshmallow when his grandkids came along.  

To make this page, I used papers from DCWV “Main Street” collection and a few odd bits of cardstock scraps from my stash. The photo mat is actually flocked paper from the DCWV collection, and that’s where I pulled in the “soft” item on my page. I also softened the edges of some elements with distress ink. 



I wanted a masculine-looking font for this layout, but one that wasn’t too harsh, so I used “Habitat” from a collection I downloaded at FontBundles.net.  They have a lot of great fonts that are free to download.  I used that for the photo caption tabs.  I also used Creating Keepsakes “CK Man’s Print” which was released years ago on a font CD, but which you can now download for free at FontsMarket.com.  The title “Daddy • Dad • Poppy” was made with some stickers from my stash.  They were the wrong color of teal for this layout, but I colored over them with a W7 Warm Grey Copic Marker.  



I use my Copic markers to change the colors of my scrapbooking supplies all the time…in fact, it was the primary reason I first started buying them.  I used several markers to get just the right color on my embellishments on this page.  The blue-ish chipboard heart was originally a sky blue.  First I colored it with Brown E25, but the surface of the chipboard was slick and it didn’t cover evenly, so I sanded that lightly, leaving it very distressed.  Then I colored it with BG72, G24, and BG13 in that order until I got just the right shade I was looking for.



The remaining embellishments were some hearts from a Basic Grey “Sugar Rush” sticker sheet (I colored one of the hearts with the E25 and BG13 to cover some colors that didn’t match), phrases from Tim Holtz and Heidi Swapp, plus a chipboard heart and a glitter heart that came from my stash.

Thanks for stopping by today!  Come back tomorrow for my layout with a “twist”!

No comments: