Saturday, March 30, 2013

Plain Pages


I’ve made about a bazillion Boy Scout pages.  Seriously.  I count seven 4-5 inch thick albums, and I’m only caught up to 2007 plus one Eagle Scout book.  I still have three years to go.  That’s a lot  of Boy Scout pages. 

One of these days I’m going to compile the best of them into a book and sell it.  You might think I’m joking, but if you are the parent of a Boy Scout, you know how frustrating it is to find ideas for all those scrapbook pages.  There’s just so many activities, and they all start to look the same.  Sometimes you get to the point where you just want to slap the pictures on the paper and get it over and done.

Today’s page is one of those kinds of pages.  This was a Layout-A-Day page, and the prompt was to scrapbook a nature photo.  There are always nature photos on Boy Scout campouts.  That was the easy part.  The hard part is making this layout stand out from the 20-30 others just like it.  It’s not easy, and I don’t think I mastered it with this one.  This page is pretty boring.  It lacks “umpfh”. 



I posted it here because I think we all have pages like this – pages that, for whatever reason, lack that special something that makes us like the page.  In short, boring.  I keep thinking that if I look at it long enough, I will get inspired to do something cool that will make it better.  It’s happened before.  I know a lot of people who just wouldn’t care.  The pictures are on the page for people to see and that’s all that counts.  I don’t know if I can do that.  I’m way too much of a perfectionist.  Still, I’m tempted to just let it go.  I need to be less of a perfectionist and learn to love simple pages.  I just don’t know if it is in me.  I’m always drawn to the more complex pages with a lot of detail and eye candy.  Plain just isn’t my style.

The way I see it, there are two kinds of scrappers…the ones who tinker with a boring page until they’re satisfied, and those who just stick it in the album and move on to the next page.  Which kind of scrapper are you? 

No comments: