Monday, May 16, 2011

Save It Quick Or You'll Be Sick!

Have you ever had one of those days?  You know the kind I’m talking about … one of those days when you’ve spent hours working on a project and suddenly your computer crashes and you lose all your work?  Apparently, a bit of regularly scheduled maintenance resulted in one of those days for Blogger, causing data corruption, intermittent outages, disappearing posts, and a host of other errors.  I think everything is up and running now, but I’m sure the chaos was frustrating for everyone involved.

It reminds me of the time many, many years ago when my audio engineer husband stayed up working all night on a soundtrack for a high school musical.  He’d been working for more than 8 hours straight on one piece of music when the computer suddenly froze and he lost every bit of work he’d done.  After that, he was often known to say, “Save it quick, or you’ll be sick.”  Apparently, my daughter never learned that lesson, because years later, she stayed up all night working on a very important report for school.  She was so relieved to finish it up, but instead of saving it first, she went straight to print.  Unfortunately, she accidentally hit the power button on her computer instead. 

I can’t count the number of times I have worked for hours on a blog and hit “Post” only to have the computer freeze, crash, or tell me I was no longer logged in.  My daughter reminds me every week to type it up in my word processor first and then copy and paste it into Blogger.  More recently, my son’s cell phone died and he lost all the phone numbers he had stored in it.  When I asked him if he had backed them up in his address book on his computer, of course his reply was “no”. 

Fortunately, for my son, all of the numbers he had stored in his phone were pretty recent ones from people he sees pretty much every day, so he was back in business within a couple of days.  Websites and blogs are not always so easy to find.  Have you ever stumbled upon a great website but failed to bookmark it and then was never able to find it again.?  I certainly hope that at least a few of the people who’ve stumbled across my little craft blog like it enough to want to come back.  If you’re one of them, I hope you’ll take my husband’s advice -- don’t let some random mishap spoil all our crafty fun!  Keep track of this scrappy little blog by clicking the “Follow” link on the left.  I’ve moved it up to the top of the sidebar for your convenience. 

Come to think of it, life works pretty much in the same way.  Birthdays, Christmases and vacations go by in the blink of an eye and then they’re gone forever.  That’s one of the reasons why we scrapbook – to preserve the memories that are important to us before we forget them.  So save it quick, or you’ll be sick, and don’t forget to journal!




No comments: