Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Store on Every Corner!

How many times have you complained that there are no scrapbooking stores left in the DFW area? Come on, ‘fess up…. I’ll be the first to admit that I grouse about it all the time. But the fact of the matter is, that’s just not true! Recently, Pam and I were taking a mental count of the local stores so we could distribute flyers for our up coming Pam’s Pals Benefit Crop. I was thinking there were only 4 or 5 stores left in the whole Metroplex, but when I started ticking them off on my fingers, I realized there were more. Sure enough, when I actually sat down and made a list, there were a LOT more. And then, after doing a little digging on the internet and browsing one GREAT online resource, I came up with a list of more than 20!

I can hear all of you saying “HUH?” from here. But sure enough, it’s true. If you count the stores from Whitesboro to Corsicana, from Greenville to Mineral Wells, there are more than 20 stores that sell paper and scrapbooking supplies and they’re all still open for business. And NO, I am NOT counting all the Walmarts, JoAnn’s, Michael’s and Hobby Lobbies! Granted, Ten Seconds Studios is not really a retail outlet and they don’t have a storefront, per se, but they do sell scrapbooking supplies and they do have a studio in North Richland Hills. And no, Paper Source may not be a strictly scrapbooking store, but paper is paper, right? I count card making supplies among some of my very favorite things! Most of the stores in my list really are scrapbook stores, though, and while I haven’t had the opportunity to visit all of them, you can bet your boots I will be doing just that VERY SOON!

So where did I come up with this magical list of stores? Well, some of it came from my own knowledge, obviously. I spend a lot of time looking around for new places to shop and crop. But I did get a lot of help from a great online scrapbooking resource called Texas ScrapMania. The site boasts extensive public directory listings of scrapbooking stores, clubs and events for the entire state of Texas and even some parts of southern Oklahoma on occasion. Listing your store, event, or service is free, and listings are sorted by geographical location. Texas ScrapMania was previously featured in Memory Makers Magazine and was profiled in the Austin American-Statesman. If you haven’t checked it out yet, you really need to do so! I never knew there was so much out there!

And now we are at the part you been so anxiously waiting for -- the list of stores. Drum roll, please……..


View Scrapbooking and Craft Supplies.kmz in a larger map

See! More than 20! I hope you’re as excited about all of them as I am! I can’t wait to go check out a few. Maybe I’ll see you there!

Cindy
Crafty Neighbor

9 comments:

Linda said...

there is a scrapbook store in Kaufman [Faithful Scrapper], Wills Point [Glover Stamp & Craft] and a new one just opened in Tyler [The Crop Spot]

Crafty Neighbor said...

Thanks for the info! I will post an update just as soon as I can verify all the information for each of the stores! :)

Crafty Neighbor said...

It has been confirmed that Scrappin' Bunnies in McKinney will be closing on April 21, 2012. We are sad to see another store close, but we wish the luck in their future endeavors.

Crafty Neighbor said...

Update: I have changed the location of Nana's Scrapbook Memories. This store used to be located in Weatherford, but they have moved to Watauga.

Crafty Neighbor said...

A follow-up to Linda's comment...I am working on adding a map for all the different regions of Texas. So the Tyler store will be on the map with East Texas.

Crafty Neighbor said...

I updated some info on several stores. One new store opened (Every Last Scrap), but two closed (Scrappin' Bunnies and Scrapville). Stores close, hours change, etc. so please call the stores to confirm their hours before driving a long way! :)

I am still working on the East Texas map and other Texas area maps. Watch for that in the near future!

Crafty Neighbor said...

Updated 7/1/14: Note that there is now a second Paper Source open in Plano. Several stores have closed including Every Last Scrap and Memory Bound. Closing soon: Remember When (Whitesboro).

Deidra (504) 475-4278 said...

Hi, Cindy!

I would really like to see an entire blog post from you updating everyone on the papercrafting stores in your area at this point in time.

I see you have updated a bit in Comments, but I think things have changed enough that you might wish to consider an entire re-write, to really give everyone the scoop on how things are there, now.

Here, in New Orleans, we honestly do not have any stores left. My two stores closed in 2008 and 2009, and the lady I sold my displays and inventory to decided to call it quits, herself, just last Spring (2015).

It is very sad to see the huge change in our craft, and it is now truly the end of an era. Most everyone now wants digital, or (nearly) FREE paper supplies. Unfortunately, it was difficult enough to pay rent and utilities when charging less than a dollar per sheet of paper, back when people actually desired the physical papers and embellishments; now, it is just impossible. And, you have to admit, that is a LOT of paper to have to sell to cover those costs! LOL

I love your blog, and I look forward to reading much more from you in the days and years to come.

Scrap on!

Dee Luquette-Famularo

Crafty Neighbor said...

Working on it! :D