Sunday, June 15, 2014

Day 20 – On a Sunday


As scrapbookers, most of us are very fortunate to have lots of photos of our children to scrapbook.  Digital cameras (and cellphones) are compact, affordable, and just about everybody has one.  Where once our families only took one or two pictures on very special occasions, now we all take pictures of everything.  We take pictures of our pets, our cars, our yards, the new flowers we just planted, the food we ate for dinner, even the bugs crawling on our back fence.  Having all these pictures makes it easy to share the stories of our every day lives, and sometimes we go out and take pictures specifically with our scrapbooks in mind.

But what happens when you don’t have photos of the subjects you want to scrapbook about?  It wasn’t all that long ago that there were no cell phones, cameras were expensive, and the cost of film and processing meant that we were a lot more careful to make sure it was a picture that we really wanted before we took it.  Sometimes the only photo of Johnny’s 5th birthday might get lost or destroyed -- assuming there was a photo to begin with.  What do we do then?  All I can say is, “Thank goodness for Google and the internet!” 

I had just one such dilemma when I was trying to decide what to do for my Day 20 page.  Lain gave us the prompt, “On a Sunday,” and I wanted to focus on the church I attended when I was just nine or ten years old.  The only problem is, I had no pictures of the church or of me from that time period, and the little church itself is more than 350 miles away, so I can’t go take a new one. But a quick Google search turned up this photo on the internet, and that was all I needed to make my story come to life.



Have you ever used a photo from the internet to complete one of your pages?  What other ways can someone who has no photos document an important story?

No comments: