Monday, July 8, 2013

Thanks You're...


I just got back from a short trip to my hometown of Lubbock, Texas for my high school reunion.  I know many of you were celebrating the liberty and freedom we enjoy as Americans and where thinking about our military and the sacrifices they have made to ensure that freedom.  I spent my July 4th holiday celebrating and honoring the life and passing of a very dear old friend.  Many of our friends came to pay their respects, some that we haven’t seen in over 25 years.  People came from hundreds of miles away, and we were able to reminisce about our friend and all of the kind and wonderful things he did for his friends.  We most assuredly did not thank him enough.

Giving thanks is something many of us forget to do.  Yes, we remember the big things, and we might offer up very sincere gratitude at appropriate times, but these days, most of us only send out Thank You cards in response to gifts and after someone has been a big help in some way or another.  But what about the little things?

Not that long ago, it was considered good etiquette to send a thank you for ANY gift, even Christmas and Birthdays, and for ANY favor or action that was done voluntarily.  Technically, we are supposed to tip and thank our mail carrier, our gardener, and even our paper carrier.  The subject of tipping aside, how long has it been since you thanked people for the ordinary things they do?  What about the accountant who found that extra $100 on your tax return, or the neighbor who collected your mail while you were on vacation?

Losing a friend has made me realize that I don’t thank a lot of the people in my life who deserve it.  I think I shall make a resolve to make a few more Thank You cards to keep on hand and to remember to actually use them…not just for the big things, but for the little things, too.  Especially, the little things.

Made with a mixture of Stampin' Up and Close to My Heart products.  Close to My Heart:  Cricut Art Philosophy cartridge and matching stamps, Love Doily stamp.  Stampin' Up: Butterfly Prints, Circle Circus, and Punch Bunch stamp sets, scalloped circle punch, and Core'dinations paper.

No comments: