Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Home is...


A few months back, while participating in Layout A Day, Lain Ehman challenged us with the daily prompt “Home is….”  I knew exactly what kind of page I wanted to make.  Over the years I’ve had more than one opportunity to revise my idea of what home is.  Having moved 18 times in the first 20 years of my life, I came to realize that home was not a what or a where, but instead it is a who.  

The page that I created for this challenge was inspired by the lovely DCWV Retro stack, which really has a homey feel that I just love.  I love this layout, but I still feel like it needs a little something more.  I tried once again to emulate that layered look that I love so much, but can’t seem to produce.  I just can’t ever find whatever it is that will put those last finishing touches on it.  My layout feels bare…spartan…plain.



If you don’t know what I’m talking about when I say “layered look”, I’m referring to the trend of stacking lots of patterned papers and embellishments around either one or two pictures on a single page layout.  Everything is clustered together and piled up in multiple layers.  I’m sure there is a name for this style, and if you know what it is, please share it with me!  If you don’t know what I’m talking about, check out some of these examples:

From Kelly Star:

From the Weekly Scrapper

From Patty Rogers on The Lone Star Crafters facebook group

That’s the effect that I’m trying to master.  I don’t know if I’ll ever manage to learn it, but I love the look, so I’m going to keep trying.  Is there a style you like that you just can’t manage to accomplish?  I’d love to hear about it, and I’d love to hear your tips on how to get that look I want.



Don’t forget, our Linked in Blog Hop is still going strong!  You can start at the beginning with and April Showers post by one of our hop coordinators – Elizabeth Mindemann’s Broken Treasures.  Follow the hop and join each of the blogs as a follower to enter our grand prize drawing valued at over $150!



I hope it inspires you to do something creative!

No comments: