Tuesday, April 23, 2013

365 Week 17


Have you ever experienced a creative block?  Have you ever had a project that leaves you so uninspired that you simply cannot work on it?  That’s the way I feel right now about my art journal.  I don’t know if it’s the pressure, or if the prompts are just not jiving with me, but I sit down to work on the journal and nothing comes out for hours.  If I force it, I wind up with a big mess and I’m not at all happy with what I’ve created.  It’s so bad that I’m tempted to throw it away.

That’s the way I feel about my art journal right now.  Two weeks ago, I was squeeling with joy over the awesome ideas I had, and today, I can’t get a single page done.  It’s a good thing I have enough other creative projects to keep me going for a few weeks,  I can work on those every day to fulfill my 365 obligation, but in the mean time, my art journal is falling behind.  I’m just stuck on a few prompts that have left me uninspired, and I don’t know what to do.

How do you deal with a creative block?  Do you power through it, or do you wait it out?  I’d love to hear about it!  Send me your comments and tell me what you think.

In the mean time, I wanted to show you the one good piece of work that I was able to complete this week, and I promise, I will upload and share the others later in the week. 

Day 106 – The Last Thing That Made Me Laugh Outloud

This page was made by using one of the pre-made backgrounds that I created with my leftover paints.  I wanted to do something to represent  Boy Scouts, because the last thing I laughed out loud at was at our troop’s Spring  Court of Honor.  I used a large foam stamp and archival ink to create the large fleur-de-lis.  The human silhouette was cut from a photograph and traced onto the page before I filled it in with a paint pen.  Then I used a new stamp and some Memento ink to go over that.  I’m still trying to get the hang of the many-layered art journal page.  I just run out of ideas for things to layer. 



I hope you are still creating something every day.  Remember, it doesn’t matter what you create, as long as you are being creative!  So if one project isn’t working for you, go ahead and find one that does.  As for me, I think I’m going to keep trying to work on the art journal, and with any luck, I might be able to power past this block and get caught back up.  Here’s the prompts I’ll be working on:

  • Hive of activity
  • Grateful for
  • I do
  • Courage
  • Birds
  • Let the journey begin
  • 10 years ago I was



No comments: