Wednesday, May 23, 2012

More LOAD 512


I swear, the LOAD 512 challenges get harder and harder every day.  I know that some of the challenges that I’ve found really hard were probably really easy for other people, and yes, there were a couple that came pretty easily to me.  But you can be sure that ALL of the prompts have been a challenge in the truest sense of the word and I know this is really helping me grow as a scrapbooker.  Here is installment No. 2 in my “Let’s Play Catch-up” series! 

Day 6: Sketch Sunday

Lain’s challenge every Sunday is to take her sketch and then change it somehow.  I’m no stranger to sketches, and I’m pretty good at being able to take a sketch, turn it around, mix it all up, and come up with something completely different.  I know a lot of people can’t do that.  That said, this sketch was a little bit challenging for me.  I picked out my pictures and my paper pretty quickly, but what I wanted to do didn’t work because I only had one piece of the dark blue paper and another little scrap.  It frustrated me for a long time before I finally gave in and used the grey cardstock for the background of the 1st page.  It wasn’t the look I was going for, but Christen loved it.  Lesson learned?  Don’t waste hours trying to make something work.  It’s okay to go with something different.  It might work out better than you think.


 




Day 7:  30 Minute Day

I cannot complete a page in 30 minutes – no matter what I do!  I tried really hard on this one, and if you don’t count the rhinestones, it would have been finished in 30.  Instead, it took me about an hour.  I could have presented my layout without the rhinestones, but I like a bit of bling on my pages.  I really am not a fan of stark or plain pages.  I want to love the pages in my albums.  If I love the pages, then other people will love the pages, too, and if they love the pages, they will come back and look at them – often.  And that’s the whole purpose of my scrapbooks…to get people to look at the pictures and read our stories.  Lesson learned?  Do what you like.  They’re your albums.  You don’t have to make pages to fit someone else’s idea of what they should or shouldn’t be.  If it takes you 4 hours to do your layout and you are happy with that, then so be it.






Day 8:  Someone Else's Story

I had a lot of fun coming up with this page that tells the story of my husband’s busy work day.  I think it’s important to include pages like this in our scrapbooks, especially because our lives change.  My husband’s routine today is a far cry from what it looked like 10 or 20 years ago.  It would have been fun to compare the differences, but we didn’t think to record things like that back then.  Lesson learned?  Capture your daily life and your routines somehow.  Even if you don’t scrapbook it right now, you’ll be glad to have that glimpse into your past some day.




Day 9:  6+ Photos

I almost laughed when I saw this prompt.  I have actually had a harder time doing pages with only one photo than I do using lots.  I have the hardest time letting go of even the worst bad photos.  They have to be really, really bad for me to not at least consider putting them on my page.  (A perfect example of this is coming up on Day 19).  Even the pictures I used here were not some of the best.  I doctored a few in Photoshop before I printed them.  I didn’t use a lot of embellishments on this page either.  Sometimes, when there’s lots of pictures, adding embellishments can be distracting.  I wanted the main focus of the page to be the journaling and the photos.  Mostly the journaling.






Well, that’s enough for this post.  I’ll have some more for you tomorrow.  Have you been following along with LOAD, too?  Or have you tried any of these prompts?  I’d love to hear what you think about them!



Have you checked out our Scrapbooking Cruise?  Departing the port of Galveston, Texas on September 15, 2012, our guests will set sail on a high seas adventure in the Caribbean while scrapbooking aboard the Carnival Triumph.  Prices start at just $485 per person all inclusive.  Reserve your cabin for as little as $50 down!  See our cruise website at CraftyNeighbor.com for details!


No comments: